Pages

Wednesday 31 December 2014

Reasons to wrap up.


This season I have been really obsessed with classic, luxe items; wool dresses and skirts, long ladylike coats and brogues. Just gorgeous, womanly shapes and good quality fabric.

At first glance, the only retailers with such attention to detail are out of most people's price range, but I discovered you can pick up some pretty good stuff without spending a fortune - many high-street shops are actually spot on in terms of design and quality. New Look really set the bar high for gorgeous winter work-wear and I particularly love the retro vibes there at the moment; there's a fantastic array of 60's style mini skirts and shift dresses.

I was really sold on details like the scalloped hem on this monochrome checked skirt, and the fact that it is lined. I styled it with glossy tights, a black slash neck top and a ladylike string of pearls.

Black top: Primark // Skirt: New Look // Pearls: my Mum's!
This pinafore style dress is also from New Look and I love the understated tartan and cheeky pleats at each side. It looks cute when worn with some ballet flats, but it can be smartened up with high heels when I want to look more corporate for work. My Boden coat (second hand four years ago!) really makes the colour in the dress 'pop' when they're worn together. I have never found a coat I like as much, but I'd also love one the same style in a modern tweed, so that's on my wish-list.



Dress: New Look // Coat: Boden (from a dress agency) // Shoes: Bertie
New Look are brilliant, but for luxe winter fabrics like wool and cashmere, high end retailers like Hobbs really know what they're doing. If you've got a bit of Christmas money to spend, nowhere really compares; for a treat or just a long, admiring browse, it's certainly one of my guilty pleasures. Their designs are so classic they pretty much suit everyone, but their NW3 collection targets a younger market, and I was smitten with this wool dress which I snapped up in the sale. I love the ladylike silhouette, especially emphasised with a skinny belt in pillbox-red.



Dress: Hobbs NW3 // Belt: Hobbs // Shoes: John Lewis Collection
Pinafore dresses are also up there with my absolute favourite styles so I couldn't resist this strawberry pink one, also from Hobbs. Worn with these high heeled brogues from Office, this look feels very 60's secretary.




Dress: Hobbs // Black top: Primark// Coat: Carboot sale // Shoes: Office
All that remains for me to say is, Happy New Year! For me, this year has been one of the busiest, most exciting, musical and fashion-filled I can remember, so if you're reading, thanks for being part of it. I'm planning a little-chic makeover here on the blog for 2015 so stay tuned, and I'm also style blogger for Exposed Magazine Online - check it out!